Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Impromptu Curry and Cake

Last Sunday I went up to Hellertown, PA for huge wizard rock festival that I was invited to play at. Wizard rock, for those unaware, is a music genre devoted entirely to singing songs, writing songs, and even dancing dances, all about Harry Potter. I started my own wizard rock band in high school and though recently I haven't had much to do with shows and playing, I decided to dust off my wizard's hat and rock on. And I am so happy I did, because going to that show on Sunday was a great experience for me. I didn't realize how much I missed not only my friends in this community, but also playing live music and hearing live music. I think there were around 20 bands there!

Of course, an event like this calls for cake. (most things call for cake, event or otherwise). Despite leaving at 9:30 in the morning, I got myself out of bed obscenely early for the summertime and started baking. I made a two layer cake, something I rarely do, but as I mentioned, this was a huge event. Huge events mean huge cakes. I also had invested in so sprinkles and a little tube of black frosting that you use for writing.

If I had done more planning and organized my time better, I would have done more fabulous things to this cake. The event was called "Incendio," which is a fire-casting spell, which is great inspiration for a cake theme. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to work on decorating cakes with my own dyed frosting and special designs, but for now I'm a simpleton.



The red sprinkles are my fire, the little squiggles are pretty horrible flames, and in the middle is a lightning bolt, representing dear Harry.

In other news, a few days ago I was so lost on what to eat for lunch, that while I had rice on the stove I decided to crack open a can of coconut milk. I sauteed some veggies and added some spices, and voila! instant curry! (except it wasn't a real curry, as it was kind of bland but not bad)



I forget I have a blog a lot so I often end up taking pictures just as I'm finishing my meal, hah.

Also I tried out a recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar, "Orange Agave-Sweetened Chocolate Chip Cookies." They were cakey, like most agave cookies, but still very delicious. I really enjoy the combination of orange and chocolate, and especially because these cookies *almost* sound healthy! Orange, no sugar, a few chocolate chips...



<3 K

No comments: